Results – 30th September

Published by on

There were only two league matches this week …


Women’s 1 won 5-1 at home to Boots Ladies 2

Goals: Laura Matthews, Ellie John, Charlotte Butler, Liane Brookin and Lauren Hand. Charlotte Smith was Player of the Match.

“It was back to winning ways this week for Market Harborough Women’s 1s with a 5-1 victory over newly relegated side Boots Ladies 2s. 

The first goal came after a period of sustained possession and pressure from the Market Harborough side. A sweeping movement culminated with a Laura Matthews straight strike from the top of the D to put the home side 1-0 up. Soon after Ellie John was on hand to put them 2 to the good with a perfectly timed deflection leaving the visiting keeper rooted to the floor. Harborough raised the intensity level and broke forward again with Matthews drawing the last defender and slipping the ball through to Charlotte Butler to score on her first team debut. The visitors pulled one back before half time after a scramble in the defensive D. They managed to convert a deflection from a fantastic save from Jaime Allison who was solid between the posts for the entirety of the match. 

Harborough went into the break 3-1 up and were in no mood to let the visitors back into the match in the second half. A flurry of short corners led to Liane Brookin powering the ball over the line from a thunderous shot into the bottom left of the goal. The final goal for the home side came courtesy of captain Lolly Hand who was in the perfect position to tidy up a goal line scramble with the keeper. 

A thoroughly deserved victory with every player doing their bit everywhere across the pitch. A solid midfield performance saw Charlotte Smith gaining the player of the match accolade. A true team victory.”


Chalotte  SmithWomens 1 cornerRunning


Mixed A lost 0-3 away to Hermitage.

“The second League Match of the season saw the Mixed A take on Hermitage away in what would be a hard fought match, but unfortunately ending in a 3-0 loss to us. I don’t remember the last time we had to fight so hard for so long, demonstrated in the fact that the first of the opposition’s goals only came in the dying moments of the first half as a scramble in front of the keeper saw the ball knocked just over his knee as he went down in anticipation of the incoming deflection. 

Barely able to put words together through sheer exhaustion, the team went out after half time to continue to resist the onslaught of the Hermitage midfield. In support of our defensive campaign, Stephen Parr spent most of his time intercepting balls left, right and centre, stopping them dead with only one slight mishap as “Speedy Gonzalez” Will Feavyour cartwheeled over the top of him, whiping out one of the opposition in their keeness to collect the ball. This match saw another sterling performance from GK Jake Wilson, again saving three strikes on the trot from one continuous play. Later, a scramble on the line saw a flick awarded, which got pushed wide by our keepers cat-like reactions. 

All in all, a game that took every last bit of strength and energy from all on pitch, with fewer opportunities to put the ball in their 23 than we’d have liked. However, it was a good introduction of what is to come and how we’ll have to set ourselves up better in midfield to take on any opposition’s well put together routines.”


{{facebook_like}} {{twitter_share}}

Categories: Uncategorized