Results – 27th January

Published by on

Here are our results from our league matches this week…



Women’s 1 drew 1-1 at home to Loughborough Students 3’s

Goal: Ella Partridge

Player of the match was Jaime Allison

“After a two month hiatus following the winter break the Ladies 1s were determined to get the second half of the season off to a good start. The atmosphere in the camp was one of quiet yet ruthless determination and this shone through the team throughout the entire match. At every position on the pitch the ladies were closing down and piling on the pressure. Loughborough were composed and played an intelligent match passing it round the back and keeping possession well. They couldn’t capitalise on the possession though due to the fortress of the Harborough press. 

A Loughborough attack was broken down by the tenacious defence and Harborough counter attacked swiftly. Laura Matthews saw a hole in the Loughborough backline and played a long ball through to Ella Partridge who kept her head, drew the keeper and then smashed the ball into the bottom of the backboard. This seemed to annoy Loughborough who then threw everything at the Harborough backline but had to wait until 8 minutes before the break to get their equaliser. Player of the match Jaime Allison made a, quite frankly, ridiculous double save but the sheer multitude of white shirts swarming round the defensive line managed to scramble the ball over the line. 

The second half saw both teams surging and looking for their chance to claim victory. Harborough remained solid and defiant despite the barrage of short corners and Loughborough physicality. Samantha Care and Ellie John may have thought that they were playing in goal at various points as they threw themselves heroically across the line to deny Loughborough their winner. 

The spoils were shared come the final whistle with a well battled and hard fought draw. Harborough were elated more by their team performance than anything else. The work rate, focus and sheer ferocity of determination was a joy to behold and to be part of. A glorious start to the rest of the season. In the words of the infamous dancing judge FAB-U-LOUS.”


Women’s 2 lost 1-2 at home to Loughborough Town Women’s 2nd

Goal: Sarah Hornbuckle

Player of the Match was Ellie Askham

“The 2s were feeling optimistic at the start of their match against top of the table Loughborough Town 2. With a few regulars missing the team had deployed a number of the 3s to help out – and they all proved their worth! 

The first half was an end-to-end battle, both teams were equal in possession and skill. A number of chances came along but Harborough were unable to convert. In the last seconds before the break Loughborough took advantage of a momentary lapse of concentration and sneaked a goal around the 2s defence.

The second half was a similar story with both sides fighting for the win. Harborough soon equalised with a nifty little flick over the line from Sarah Hornbuckle. The whole team galvanised to find a winning goal, with action across the pitch and all involved giving everything they had, but it was not to be. Harborough could not convert their chances and Loughborough got their winner. Final score 2-1 to Loughborough.

The last time the 2s met this team the result was a 4-0 loss, this match was a very different affair with the result hanging in the balance throughout. A great performance, and a marked improvement from earlier in the season. Well done all! 

Player of the Match was Ellie Askham for her hard work in defence.”


Men’s 1 lost 2-6 away to Derby

Goals: Tom Whitehouse & Ben Langdown


Men’s 2 lost 2-3 away to Sikh Union [Coventry] 

Goals: Richard Goswell & Harry Wilford (on his debut for the team)

“The 2nd team travelled to Sikh Union who are a couple of places above us and inflicted a 5-1 defeat on us earlier in the season. Captain Raoul Mercer made sure we started well by winning the toss but given the pouring rain decided it did not really matter which way we started.

The team started out playing great hockey, especially the youngsters in the team, and we were matching the Sikh Union with more possession than they had. The game continued well with the two drafted-in young forwards, Harry Wilford and Tom Parry, making some great runs and putting the defence under pressure.

As the first half continued, the opposition kept pushing forward in numbers and eventually managed to outpace our full-backs Dave Wilford and Raoul Mercer. A player managed to get in behind un-marked and slot the ball past Nick Riley in goal. Thanks must still go to Nick for agreeing to go in goal while recovering from his foot injury. 

We went in at half time 0-1 down but with heads heal high, and came out fighting in the second half. The defence was solid with Joe Butler and James Clements continuing to block and frustrate the attacks, and then playing the ball forward to set us on another attack. While pushing forward and going for goal however, we left a bit of space and once again the opposition took advantage to go 2-0 up.

The midfield of Max Shortland and Dave Littlewood worked well as a unit and kept pushing forward looking for that elusive goal and eventually it paid off. A great move saw Dave Littlewood pop up at the top of the D and put a firm shot on goal for Richard Goswell to deflect it past the keeper, making it 2-1. The whole team lifted up a gear at this stage looking for another goal but in doing so, left some gaps which Sikh Union exploited to go 3-1 up.

A great move again saw Dave Littlewood shooting in the D, it was going wide until a superb reverse stick deflection from Harry Wilford saw us pull another goal back and gave him his first goal for the 2nd team. So at 3-2 and with not long left on the clock, there is only one person we have not mentioned in the form of Luke van Diepen. The whole of the game he was popping up everywhere on the pitch and covering a lot of ground. 

After such a great team performance the captain made an executive decision to nominate everyone as Player of the Match for the overall performance. Looking forward to next week and getting back on winning ways.”


Men’s 3 won 8-3 at home to Nuneaton

Goals: Noel Burton (3), Stephen Parr, Stuart McCagney, Niek Nijsen, Liam McLean & Jack March

“The Men’s 3s played against Nuneaton this Saturday, everyone played really well. Harborough went away with an 8-3 win.

There was some very good play from all players with Jason Perry standing in as goal keeper. Peter March, Tom Bamford and Toby Fletcher showed some excellent play making excellent passes up the pitch. Jason Perry in goal made some amazing saves. Josh Osborne and Jack March made some very nice pieces of play often resulting in the ball being taken into the oppositions D, Ben Iliffe played well in midfield and on serval occasions got the ball up to the forwards. 

The whole team played really well and deserved the win.”



On Sunday our U8s and U10s played in a local tournament hosted by Rugby HC. By all accounts both teams played really well!

Well done Harborough Juniors!


{{facebook_like}} {{twitter_share}}

Categories: Uncategorized